How many days have I got left?

Wasting my life away, one day at a time...

Monday, July 18, 2005

The Potter Brigade

This is it...I finally decided to take the plunge and return to my blog, after being rather ashamed of myself about the state I'd left it in. There's an excuse though! I've had one hell of an amazing week.

It's been parties left, right and centre here. Not to mention some fantastic trips to the spa where me and about 50 other people (which are newly acquired friends) were pampered like goddesses. I ended up getting VIP tickets to Jamie Oliver's restaurant, where it gave me great satisfaction to squish my lemon meringue pie in his face, because even a lifetime of school dinner campaigning wouldn't stop him being annoying. Oh yes, did I forget to mention that I won the lottery? Sorry...I'm just feeling a bit delirious from all the expensive champagne I've been drinking (after becoming a millionaire, I've decided I do like champagne after all). So I think that sums up my week. And seeing Jesus in concert at the London Arena. That was an amazing experience.

So that was me pretending that I've been so rushed off my feet busy that I didn't possibly have time to make another post. Apologies to anyone reading this and thinking "hey, I already knew you weren't serious! I'm not THAT dumb". I was just afraid that people might think I'd gone a bit mental or was on drugs if I just left it like that.

Despite the inventiveness though, my week hasn't been that boring, and I have been busier than usual, BUT not busy enough to neglect my general internet habits. Then I looked back at the last post I made and thought that I should at least have something more lengthy or interesting at the top of the page. And here we are :)

Something that almost everyone's been talking about is the release of Harry Potter 6: The Half Blood Prince. I didn't go so far as to dress up in a witches hat and cape so I could stand outside Borders and wait to pick up the book, but I did go the next day to buy it (I missed "around 10 O’clock" by a few hours though). My friend sent me a text message at 5pm saying that she'd already finished the book and that she thought the ending was crap. Me? I was at the cinema, and by the end of the day I was only on chapter 4, or something ridiculous like that. In my defence, I do like to pace my reading a bit (especially when it comes to Harry Potter books) so I don't finish the book too fast, but I'm finding this one doesn't seem to have the same "can't put it down" factor as I'm familiar with-even though I found book #5 too long and boring in parts.

I did get the some of the plot ruined for me by clicking on a stupid message board link (which in no way indicated that the content of the post was to do with the book). I kinda tried to click the back button quickly, but the bold text had already raped my eyes and forced unwanted knowledge into my brain. I'm not entirely sure if what I saw was true, but I'm thinking yes, and I don't want to try and confirm it in case any more of the story gets spoilt. I suppose it's not really a big deal-last year I got told the ending of Harry Potter by a loud girl at school who hadn't even read the books yet, and didn't really understand any of what she was saying to me. "HARRY POTTER'S UNCLE DIES!!!" "Uncle? What? Harry Potter doesn't have an uncle, he only has a...NOOOOOO." Except the "noooo" wasn't so shouty, it was more disappointed, and, uh, quietly psychotic.

Expect some kind of enraged, capitalised statement from me I've finally finished reading.

8 Comments:

  • At 4:51 pm, Blogger Ukatoton said…

    Hello, could i ask that you try to talk to me on some medium so that i can help you with favicons?

    MSN: fynzade@hotmail.co.uk
    YAhho: fynuizai@yahoo.com
    ICQ: 245438695
    AIM: fyngoldnelucazad

    I find it easier to explain things in chat convos.

    You need to add a relational link in the head of your html to link to it after stroing it on some image hosting (i suggest maj.com, but you could use blogger images if you wish).

    I'd be able to explain better however, if i could contact you in some other manner though.

     
  • At 4:55 pm, Blogger Ukatoton said…

    Also, if you send me the image you want in some form, I can quite easily convert it to an ico, using microangelo (you can get a ver from tucows that works for 30 days, i have abot a week left).

     
  • At 6:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think harry-potter is just a "normal" book.It's just some kind of merchandising book but there are sooooo many better books.
    I'mean it's just a "light" fantasy book with no deeper content....
    I know i will have many enemys through this comment.
    Sorry for my bad english =)

     
  • At 9:51 pm, Blogger Miss Waffle said…

    Hehe...make yourself know, "anonymous!" :P

    You're right, Harry Potter IS light fantasy, and that's why I like it. It's one of the few fantasy books I actually like (there are a few other exceptions).

    You haven't made me your enemy...there are many more worse things you could have said that criticise Harry Potter, though I guess people who wear all the dress up gear might be a little outraged.

    Oh, and thanks for the comment! Comments are always welcome :)

    Waffley x

     
  • At 10:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Better light fantasy:
    Discworld - Terry Prachet
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - douglas adams
    ...
    But if youre yet addict to these books, I wish you some exciting hours of reading ;-)

    cu soon
    anonym ;-))

     
  • At 1:38 pm, Blogger Miss Waffle said…

    Thomas, I know that's you! Isn't it? Unless you tell me otherwise I'll assume that it is, and self congratulate myself for my awesome detective skills :P

    I do want to read the hitchikers guide, and as for the Terry Pratchett books, I think I've got one at home and just never bothered to read it. That happens to me quite a lot. I might take it off from the shelf sometime.

    I'm currently on page 515 of the Half Blood Prince. Not long to go now...

     
  • At 9:38 pm, Blogger Internet Street Philosopher said…

    Good to see that you're back in the blogsphere! Come on by later on to read a poem of mine!!!

     
  • At 10:35 pm, Blogger Miss Waffle said…

    You still read my blog, street philosopher? I'm shocked :O

    I tried to go back to yours and comment, but have you abandoned it? There were no new posts since april, so I thought maybe your other one had moved or something. I'm sure there was another one...with...voice recorded entries?

    Anyway, I'll read your poem if you direct me to where it is :)

    Waffley x

     

Post a Comment

<< Home